Words of Life - BlasphemySeries: Words of Life
WORDS OF LIFE
“But you, beloved, ought to remember the words that were spoken beforehand….” / Jude 17
1. The mention of the sacred, ineffable name of God.
2. Any contemptuous or profane act, utterance, or writing concerning God.
3. The act of speaking against God or some one or something of God in a defamatory way.
4. The act of claiming for oneself the attributes and rights of God.
5. Any word or deed meant to dishonor, revile and deny the word or work of God as revealed by the Holy Spirit.
The primary focus of this lesson will be on #5 above.
> Questions & Observations For Discussion ?
1. Illustrations of the various usages of the word “blasphemy”.
(1) + (2) YHWY & JHVH were tetragrammatons written by the Jews to avoid profaning God’s holy name.
When speaking God’s name, Adonai (Hebrew) & Kurios” (Greek) were substituted for Yahweh lest they blaspheme.
(3) 2Kgs.19:6, Ezk.35:12, Acts 26:11; Rom.2:24 and Js.2:7 show how “holy things of God” can be blasphemed.
(4) Jesus was accused of blasphemy because He claimed to be acting upon God’s behalf – Mt.26:64-65 & Jn.10:33f
(5) To deny the work of the Holy Spirit – Mt.12:31-32
2. Our discussion in this study will focus on THE UNPARDONABLE SIN.
Mt.12:32 / whoever shall speak against (blaspheme) the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him…
Mk.3:29 / whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin
Lk.12:10 / whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him
Is it not true, that all sins can be forgiven in Christ Jesus?
~ Take note of the various sins mentioned in multiple “vice lists” provided in the New Testament.
e.g. Mk.7:21f; Rom.1:28f; 1Cor.6:9f; Gal.5:19f; Eph.4:25f; Col.3:5f; and 1Tim.1:8f
~ Can you name a sin that is so egregious that it cannot be forgiven?
WHAT IS IT ABOUT BLASPHEMING THE HOLY SPIRIT THAT MAKES IT AN UNFORGIVABLE SIN?
~ The Holy Spirit was sent to declare the very words of life (the New Covenant) by which men might be saved.
Jn.16:13 / He (The Holy Spirit) will guide you in all truth. cf. Jn.16:8-9 & 20:31; 1Cor.2:10 and Rom.1:16-18
The Holy Spirit was sent to Witness to Christ (Jn.15:26) and to confirm the truth (Heb.2:3-4).
~ In summary, the work of the Holy Spirit was to give us The Word, whereby we might obtain everlasting life.
Therefore to reject & speak against (to deny) the revelations of the Holy Spirit is to cut off any hope of LIFE.
~ Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ – Rom.10:17
~ To deny the truth inscribed in written word is to sever the only spiritual lifeline that God has provided.
~ If Christ is THE ONLY WAY (Jn.14:6) and one rejects or dismisses the One who testifies of Christ, all hope is gone.
~ To blaspheme is to resist (Acts 7:51), quench (1Thess.5:19), grieve (Eph.4:30) and deny (1Jn.2:22) the Holy Spirit.
3. In light of what we have studied how important is it to cling tenaciously to the written Word of God?
How important is it to diligently handle accurately the word of truth? – 2Tim.2:15
How dangerous is it to rationalize, explain away, ignore and/or deny that which is written? – Rev.20:12 & Jn.17:17
“The preacher sought to find delightful words and to write words of truth correctly.” (Ecclesiastes 12:10)