Words of Life - Atonement
WORDS OF LIFE
“But you, beloved, ought to remember the words that were spoken beforehand….” / Jude 17
1. Amends or reparation made from an injury or wrong; expiation; recompense.
2. In the Hebrew Scriptures, man’s reconciliation with God after having transgressed the covenant.
3. The redemptive life and death of Christ.
4. The reconciliation of God and man thus brought about by Christ.
All four of the above definitions are right on target, Biblically speaking.
Questions & Observations For Discussion?
1. The centrality and importance of the doctrine of atonement is seen clearly in Paul’s words in 1Cor.2:2
I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.
Christianity is essentially a theology of the cross.
2. It is impossible to speak accurately about the word “at-one-ment” without referencing other words like:
What is the common denominator that is implied by all of these various words?
Rom.3:10 & 23 / there is none righteous, not even one … all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God
Rom.6:23a / for the wages of sin is death
Atonement is necessary due to man’s SINfulness!
3. What are the critical (and essential) elements needed to atone for sin?
The substitution of a perfect sacrifice.
~ A sacrifice without blemish and spotless as taught by the Old Testament sacrificial system – Lev.14:10
~ Yet even those perfect animal sacrifices were inadequate and simply pushed forward the problem – Heb.10:1-4
~ “We have no gift valuable enough, no work righteous enough to atone for our own sins.” / R.C. Sproul
~ We owed a debt we could not pay!
What was the only ultimate remedy for man’s sin? What could SUBSTITUTE for man and SATISFY God’s holiness?
~ 2Cor.5:21 / (God) made HIM who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf
~ 1Pet.2:24 / HE Himself bore our sins in His body on the cross…
~ Gal.3:13 / Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us
4. But why did Jesus have to be sacrificed? i.e., to die and shed His blood?
We are redeemed by “the blood of the cross” – 1Pet.1:18-19
~ Heb.9:29 / “all things are cleansed with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.”
~ Lev.17:11 – “the life of the flesh is in the blood”
We can safely conclude that GOD’S WAY (2Cor.5:19) was the only way for atonement to be made!
5. Somewhere in your study Bible, keep a running list of key Scriptures that address the subject of atonement.