5BX Spiritual Fitness Plan
5BX Spiritual Fitness Plan
1. In the late 1950s, there was an exercise program called 5BX (Five Basic Exercises)...
a. Developed for the Royal Canadian Air Force
b. Published as a booklet with 23 million copies sold in Canada
c. Consisted of five exercises to be done daily in 11 minutes
2. In this lesson, I would like to suggest a similar 5BX plan...
a. Designed for Christians, to aid their spiritual growth and development
b. Consisting of five spiritual exercises to be done daily (though not in 11 minutes!)
[I call it the 5BX Spiritual Fitness Plan. In the original 5BX plan, the first exercise involved stretching. Our spiritual 5BX plan begins with a daily regimen that will stretch our souls...]
I. READ THE WORD OF GOD
A. THE WORD OF GOD...
1. The means by which we grow spiritually - 1Pe 2:2
2. Read the Psalmist’s valuation of the Word - Ps 19:7-10
3. It was by the Word of God that Jesus resisted the devil - Mt 4:4,7,10
4. It is by God’s Word in our hearts that we can resist sin - Ps 119:11
-- The Word of God is therefore foundational to our spiritual fitness
B. READING THE WORD...
1. Develop the habit of reading the Word daily
2. Start slow; perhaps with the NT, a chapter a day
3. Progress to reading the Bible through each year
4. Read devotionally, meditating on what you read
-- The Word of God will help you to grow in grace and knowledge
[In the original 5BX plan, the second exercise involved sit-ups to strengthen the midsection. Our spiritual 5BX plan involves a spiritual exercise that will empower our souls...]
II. SPEND TIME IN PRAYER
A. THE POWER OF PRAYER...
1. There is forgiveness from God - Ac 8:22; 1Jn 1:7-10
2. There is peace from God - Php 4:6-7
3. There is strength from God - Ep 3:14-16,20
4. There is opportunity from God - Col 4:3
5. There is boldness from God - Ep 6:19-20
6. There is wisdom from God - Jm 1:5-8
7. There is healing from God - Jm 5:14-16
8. There is tranquility from God - 1Ti 2:1-4
-- Together with the Word, prayer is foundational to spiritual fitness
B. PRAYING FERVENTLY...
1. As you read the Word of God, pray for wisdom
2. Pray daily for forgiveness, strength, opportunity, boldness
3. As needed, pray for peace, healing, tranquility
4. Continue earnestly in prayer, vigilant in with thanksgiving - Col 4:2
-- Consistent, fervent prayer will strengthen your relationship with God
[In the original 5BX plan, the third exercise involved back extension that increased flexibility. Our spiritual 5BX plan involves a spiritual exercise that will enrich our souls...]
III. SING PRAISES
A. THE ROLE OF SINGING...
1. One purpose of singing is to praise God - Ac 16:25
2. It is a type of spiritual sacrifice that we offer to God - He 13:15
3. A way to be filled with grace and melody in our hearts - Col 3:16; Ep 5:19
4. A way to respond to the goodness of God - Jm 5:13
-- Singing praises is foundational to our spiritual well-being
B. SINGING PRAISES...
1. Make praising God in song a part of your daily devotional
2. Either by listening to hymns or singing them yourself
3. Sing while you drive, while you work, either quietly or aloud
4. Make melody in your heart, sing with grace in your heart
-- Singing enriches our souls and fortifies our relationship with God
[The fourth exercise in the original 5BX plan was pushups to strengthen the upper body. Our spiritual 5BX plan involves a spiritual activity that strengthens our relationship with God and other Christians...]
IV. FELLOWSHIP WITH BRETHREN
A. THE IMPORTANCE OF FELLOWSHIP...
1. The church is the body of Christ which is built up when each part does its share - Ep 4:15-16
2. Our assembling is designed to stir one another to love and good works - He 10:24-25
3. Our fellowship is a source of comfort and edification - 1Th 5:11
4. A way to avoid becoming hardened by the deceitfulness of sin - He 3:12-14
-- Frequent fellowship is crucial to remaining faithful and steadfast
B. EXPERIENCING FELLOWSHIP...
1. Assemble together with Christians every opportunity you can
2. Take advantage of the assemblies offered by the local congregation
3. Not just one time on Sunday, but every time the door is open
4. Look for ways to be with Christians daily - by phone, Bible studies, social activities
-- Fellowship with other Christians strengthens one’s faith in God and Christ
[The fifth and final exercise in the original 5BX was running in place or walking to increase endurance. Our spiritual 5BX plan includes spiritual activity that produces endurance as well...]
V. DO GOOD WORKS
A. THE ROLE OF GOOD WORKS...
1. We are not saved by good works - Ep 2:8-9; Tit 3:4-5
2. But we are created in Christ for good works, to glorify God - Ep 2:10; Mt 5:16
3. Thus we are to be fruitful in every good work - Col 1:10
4. We are not to grow weary in doing good - 1Co 15:58; Ga 6:9-10
-- Good works are essential if we are going reap spiritual benefits
B. DOING GOOD WORKS...
1. Share the gospel with the lost
2. Minister to brethren and to the lost in need, whether physical or spiritual
3. Utilize your resources (time, money, talents) to help the poor or sick
4. Each day try to do something that blesses another person
-- Good works, done systematically, builds spiritual endurance
1. We have seen that the 5BX Spiritual Fitness Plan contains these five elements...
a. Read The Word Of God
b. Spend Time In Prayer
c. Sing Praises
d. Fellowship With Brethren
e. Do Good Works
2. Engaged in daily, I believe they go a long way to developing strong Christians...
a. But please note that these are “basic” exercises
b. I am not suggesting they are everything a Christian needs to do
c. However, they will establish a good foundation of spiritual fitness
Perhaps you might find this “plan” helpful as you seek to carry out the admonition given by Paul to the young man Timothy...
“...exercise yourself toward godliness. For bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable for all things, having promise of the life that now is and of that which is to come.” - 1Ti 4:7-8