Lesson #2 - Love One AnotherSeries: The One-Another Way
LESSON #2 – LOVE ONE ANOTHER
THE PREEMINENT VIRTURE
1. From what Christian grace do all other graces flow?
~ Gal.5:22 / the fruit of the Spirit is LOVE...
~ 1Cor.13:13 / the greatest of these is love...
~ 1Pet.4:8 / above all, keep fervent in your love for one another...
~ Col.3:14 / beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity.
The story is told that the apostle John used to repeat the same sermon every Sabbath in the church in the form of one brief,
single-sentence sermon: Little children, love one another. And when they asked him why he never said anything new, his answer was that there was nothing else to say, for this was the substance and summary of all of Christ's commandments.
cf. 1Jn.2:7-11; 3:11, 16 & 18; 4:7-8, 11 & 19; 5:1; 2Jn.5-6 and 3Jn.6.
“Every grace is but a form of love.”
JOY is love exulting...PEACE is love reposing...LONGSUFFERING is love enduring...GENTLENESS is the good manners of love...
KINDNESS is love in action...FAITH is love confiding...MEEKNESS is love yielding...TEMPERANCE is true self love.
2. Using the texts below, discover the most common appellation in the entire New Testament?
cf. Rom.16:5, 8, 9 & 12; 1Cor.4:14 & 17; Eph.6:21; Col.1:7 & 4:7, 9 & 14; 2Tim.1:2; Phile.1; 2Pet.3:15; 1Jn.4:7 and 3Jn.1.
OUR BADGE OF DISCIPLESHIP
3. How did Jesus say that others would recognize that we are His disciples?
Read aloud - - Jn.13:34-35.
IN WORD AND DEED
1Jn.3:18 / My little children, let us notlove with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth.
4. How would you grade yourself as to how well you walk the talk?
5. How might others (family and friends) grade you?
A NEW COMMANDMENT
6. Does God truly command us to love one another? - cf. Jn.13:34-35 and 15:12 & 17 with 1Jn.2:7-8
7. In what sense is this commandment an OLD one? - cf. Mt.5:43f with Lev.19:18
8. In what sense is it NEW? - Jn.13:34 with 1Jn.2:7-8 and Lk.6:17, 32 & 25
THE GOLDEN CHAIN THAT BINDS US TOGETHER
9. How would you describe the quality and quantity of this LOVE?
Without hypocrisy (Rom12:9) … Devoted (Rom.12:10) … Owed (Rom.12:8f & 1Jn.4:19) … Edifies (1Cor.8:1) … Pusued (1Cor.14:1) …
All-encompassing (1Cor.16:14) … Abounding (1Thess.3:12 & 4:9) ...Rooted & Grounded (Eph.3:17) … Forbearance (Eph.4:2) …
Speaking Truth (Eph.4:15) … Knits Together (Col.2:2) … Spurs Onward (Heb.10:24) … Fervent (1Pet.1:22 & 4:8).
On deck" Bearing with one another...